Saturday, February 11, 2006

Wild Boar Dinner Party




My friend Nat is a hunter. When I was over at his house watching the Super Bowl I opened the freezer to get some ice for my drink and had to maneuver around a rigor mortise quail just lying there. He had some boar meat in his freezer from his last hunting trip, and asked me if I knew what to do with it. I told him to take it out of the freezer and bring it over. He arrived with about over three pounds of wild boar meat (a loin and a rump roast) as well as 6 perfect little quail. I marinated the boar for two days in a mixture of rose wine, garlic, onions, herbs and spices, and then seared it over the stove. After I took it out of the pot, I made a savory fruit compote by adding a couple sliced yellow onions and a whole lot of chopped dried fruit (apples, apricots, plums, pears and peaches.) I let it stew for a couple minutes to release some juice and then I added a couple cups of white wine. Then I poured the compote into a big roasting pan and put the boar on top. I threw the whole thing into a 325 degree oven and let it bake for about an hour and a half, until the meat was medium. It was good, though I'll admit a little tough. Served with a green salad and the compote it worked out pretty well though. I'd love to try again with some other wild game. Maybe make some sausages....? Venison? The quail I stuffed with some wild rice and dried apricots and then wrapped each one in a piece of bacon and threw them in an oven for the last 20 minutes of the boar's cooking time. I love eating quail. For some reason it makes me feel like an old French man, picking the meat off the little bones with my teeth.... Dessert was fresh berries with meringues, whip cream and dulce de leche. Learned that one on Argentina and it really is muy bueno.

2 comments:

jack said...

It all looks so delicious! Be sure to post your restaurant reviews at http://tinyurl.com/26okadh !!

Anonymous said...

Reduce heat; simmer, uncoveгed, for 35 to 40mіnutеѕ or to desired
consistenсу, stіrring оccasiοnally.

This аnnual ρlant can be grown in an container, and will yield between 1-2 cups of fгesh basil.
Most breаd machines come with a rеcipe boοk included.


my web blog ... pizza pan akron oh menu